Sunday, February 19, 2012

All That Glitters

Sorry for the radio silence over here guys - this past week has been crazy busy! But I did manage to get to the gym 4 days this week, so I think that makes up for my lack of blogging. And I didn't feel like I was going to die the day after Group Power, so things are definitely improving there.

First things first, I am SO excited about this - Alexis and I have decided to host monthly Pinterest Parties. You know you just go along, pinning, pinning, pinning, and then never think about it again. Well, we're going to hold ourselves accountable for all these wonderful pins and actually make some of them. Brilliant, I know - credit goes to Alexis for that. (Side note: If you haven't been to Mugg's DIY Blog you must go. Go do it now, and then come back to mine, because there is more to this post.)

I decided to do glitter light-switch plates, because I'm moving into a new apartment and this seemed like an easy way to personalize the place. And also a great gift idea if you have girls in your life who are obsessed with glitter - which I do. Quite a few of them, actually.


Switch plates, glitter, Mod Podge, sandpaper. And an adult beverage, obviously.



I got all of the supplies at Walmart for around $20. The switch plates were 57 cents a piece, and when it comes to things like that, I can't buy just one or two. I cleaned them out and bought 10. (This is why I also have 10 tank tops that are all really similar. "They're only $2.80? GET THEM ALL.") I haven't ever used Mod Podge, so I consulted with my aunt and Mugg, and went with the aerosol. I figured it would work better, because the brush in the regular MP would get glitter all stuck to it. You should also get some heavy grit sandpaper to rough up the switch plates to make sure everything will stick.

I HIGHLY recommend doing this craft OUTSIDE. Trust me. Otherwise you will get a contact high from the Mod Podge. I thought Alexis just made my drink really strong, but no. I even had the garage door open and I still had a headache when I was done. And since glitter is the herpes of craft supplies, you want to do this in an area that you don't care if it gets sparkly. I did mine in a shallow box to keep everything (somewhat) contained, but the glitter will still get everywhere.

1) Sandpaper the switch plates until they aren't shiny anymore.

2) One plate at a time, so the MP doesn't dry too fast - layer Mod Podge, glitter, Mod Podge, glitter until you are satisfied with how concentrated the glitter is. I would recommend waiting 10-15 minutes between layers to let them dry somewhat, and so you can see where you've missed. I wanted to see zero white - go big or go home.




3) Let dry overnight. Hit them all with another few layers of MP throughout the next day so they are properly sealed and won't be dropping glitter herp all over the place. The last thing you want is for the glitter to start flaking off, because that will just look like crap.

This picture just makes me happy. LOOK AT THE SPARKLES.



I loved this, once my headache went away. I can't wait to decorate my new apartment with these! I will be doing more posts as we continue these PinParties - I'm already on the lookout for my next project.

Alexis made some wine glasses with chalkboard paint on the bottom of them so you can keep track of which glass is yours at a party - the wine glasses were 4 for $5 at Walmart, and other than that all you need is a small bottle of chalkboard paint and some chalk! (Or blackboard crayons, since apparently Walmart doesn't carry regular classroom chalk.) Easy peasy, and cheap. Great for parties, or for a housewarming gift!




How was everyone's Single's Awareness Day last week? Or, Valentine's Day, if you're in a relationship. This year's was quite different for me - the past 4 years I've gotten flowers delivered at work and always had a gift waiting for me at home, but this year I knew nothing was coming. There was that little pricking in the back of my mind, thinking someone might send me flowers. But who? Only four guys know my address here, 2 of them would never. And the other two? I said to my mom, "If ______ sends me flowers, I'll kill him. If _______ sends me flowers, I'll marry him." "Quite a swing there!"

thank you, Gabby!


I scored some sick Pumas yesterday on the cheap. Can you say BALLER?! I can't wait to go to the gym now!



Since it's been so long since I did my last post, I have two Quotes for y'all (watch out now, southern accent coming through):

"I wish David Beckham was selling his junk instead of undies. I want more from these commercials." - Katrina. Ain't that the truth. David Beckham is one fine specimen!

On Pinterest:
"You get sucked in, and every time you refresh the page, it's like MAGIC!" - Jess. I do this. A lot. This is why some nights I get online and then all of a sudden its 11:30pm and I should've gone to bed an hour and a half ago. Damn you, Pinterest.

 This is what we're doing for the day. It's raining, and I have shows to catch up on. Have a great Sunday, bloggies!

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh!!! Those light switch plates!! I will be making a million of those. Next time I come down we're totally having a Pinterest Party!

    And those shoes ARE baller. Jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE those...they are AWESOME! So creative...glad that I steered you in the correct direction!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for having a tutorial on how to make these! Ive been searching and have only been able to find pics! Cant wait to try!

    ReplyDelete